Upside-Down Cake a la Mode
- 1 tablespoon Lucerne unsalted butter
- 6 oranges, peeled, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons Safeway SELECT® orange marmalade
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup O Organics™ extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for sprinkling into jars
- 1/4 cup Lucerne whole milk
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup semolina flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 scoops Lucerne Vanilla Ice Cream
- 3 tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Grease the bottom of six half-pint canning jars with unsalted butter, then sprinkle sugar all over the bottom and sides of each jar.
Place 2 halved orange slices into bottom of each prepared jar, then top with orange marmalade and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, olive oil, whole milk, and rum. Gently whisk in all-purpose flour, semolina flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Divide the batter between the prepared jars and smooth out the top.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean, about 15 to 18 minutes.
Allow the cakes to cool for 45 to 60 minutes before serving. Turn upside down onto a plate, top with powdered sugar and orange zest and serve with a scoop of ice cream.
While this appears to be a difficult dish, it isn't! Some tips for top presentation:
- Mason jars amp up the presentation factor -- feel free to use different sizes or whatever you have on hand.
- Careful not to put the ice cream on hot cakes; it'll melt too fast and turn into goo. So plan ahead and bake ahead!
- You can swap out the orange + orange marmalade for whatever seasonal fruits you have; strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, or lemon are all great options.
Photo & Recipe Credit: Safeway Kitchens