Want to sneak more veggies in your diet? Looking for a creative use of inexpensive good-for-you sweet potatoes? Just looking for something to sandwich some pulled pork between? (I don’t do the pork thing but if you do, this would be perfect) Then give this recipe a try.
If you’d like to have some fun with this recipe, then enjoy it as an ice cream sandwich. A bourbon or butter pecan ice cream would be nice. Salty caramel, maybe? Better yet, make mini ice cream sandwiches and dollop with jam or caramel. Oh! How about dipping half of the mini sandwiches in melted, chai-spiced chocolate (white are dark)?
You could always keep it simple and prepare these just as they are, but beyond maple syrup you could try an apple cider sauce. Any way you slice it, these are rather tasty!
Sweet Potato Spiced Rum Waffles
Makes 6 waffles
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or spelt flour
- 1/4 cup gently packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dried ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (may use milk for non-vegan version)
- 1 cup mashed organic sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup melted organic, raw coconut oil or vegetable oil of your choice
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum, orange juice, or apple juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whisk or sift the dry ingredients in a bowl.
In a larger bowl, whisk the wet ingredients. Combine the flour mixture with the sweet potato mixture, stirring until just combined.
Prepare the waffles per waffle maker instructions.
Photos are courtesy of the author.