Click here to learn more and sign up for the giveaway for free. Then enjoy these Earl Grey blackberry scones featured in Oolong, Farewell, which is available at all major booksellers.
Earl Grey Blackberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
Who knew Earl Grey tea could double as a delicious spice? These scones are perfect with any kind of tea, though. Even better, they’re easy to make.
- 3 and 3/4 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour. (Bread flour will give you a lighter, more biscuit-like scone. All-purpose flour will give you a denser scone. Choose wisely.).
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons Mindful Morning Earl Grey tea, ground to a fine powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 and 1/4 cups cold milk
- 1 cup frozen blackberries (frozen berries keep their shape better, so if you buy them fresh, freeze them before baking)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Zest of 1 lemon
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, ground tea, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
Cut butter into cubes and mix into the flour mixture with your fingers, crushing the butter, until the mix is coarse and sandy.
Add milk. Stir until almost combined. Add frozen blackberries and mix in. You may need to add extra milk, a tablespoon at a time, until the dried bits are incorporated.
Knead dough in the bowl until everything has come together in a ball.
Roll out dough to 1 inch thick. Cut into squares or circles 2 and 1/2 inches in diameter, or cut into triangular wedges 2 and 1/2 inches at the base.
Bake on ungreased cookie sheet until light golden brown. Circles and squares take approximately 15-20 minutes. Triangles will usually take 20-25 minutes. The bigger the scone, the longer they’ll need to bake.
For the glaze:
Combine powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth and no lumps remain. Spoon desired amount of glaze over the scones. Let sit for 5 minutes and then enjoy!
Kirsten Weiss is the author of Oolong, Farewell, book three in the Tea and Tarot cozy mystery series. You can learn more about the Tea and Tarot series and her other mystery novels on her website at KirstenWeiss.com.
Click here to enter the giveaway by September 26, 2020!