This is the perfect weekender, brunch day recipe. With pears and apples in season you can easily substitute either. I shared it as a vegan recipe, but if you prefer to do it all up with butter and eggs, by all means enjoy!
Okay now, hop to it! My husband can’t keep his hands off this cake. I wonder if he’d feel the same way if I served it with a salted caramel ice cream. Probably.
Apple Cardamom Crumb Cake
vegan with *non-vegan options marked with asterisk
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup organic spelt flour or whole wheat white flour
- 1/2 cup organic rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup raw, organic coconut oil/vegan butter, melted and cooled (*or butter)
- 2 1/2 organic cups spelt flour or whole wheat white flour
- 2/3 cup organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/2 cup raw, organic coconut oil, melted and cooled (*or butter)
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened applesauce (*or 2 medium eggs)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (*or milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (5-6 ounces) chopped apple
Prepare the crumb topping by mixing the flour, oats, sugar, and oil until pea sized clumps form. Refrigerate while you prepare the cake.
Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and orange zest.
In a separate bowl, whisk the coconut oil, applesauce, milk, and vanilla extract.
Stir the coconut mixture into the flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in the apples.
Spoon into a greased, 9-inch round spring form baking dish. Spread with the crumb topping.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Eat it warm!
All photos are courtesy of the author.