Today I want to highlight my favorite summer delight: deluxe watermelon salad. My version has feta and strawberries, along with a few variations you might want to try. It's perfect for a dinner party or just a snack/treat for yourself - and it's easy, so easy.
Deluxe Watermelon Salad
- 1/2 seedless watermelon, cubed or balled
- 4 oz feta cheese, cubed or crumbled
- 1/2 lb strawberries, sliced thin
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons basil leaves, finely chopped
- flaky sea salt, to garnish
Gather all of your ingredients except the salt and ensure everything is cubed, crumbled, chopped or cut.
Combine all ingredients into a large salad bowl and distribute ingredients evenly.
Keep cool until ready to serve. When serving, give each dish a gentle sprinkle of sea salt. DO NOT put the sea salt on earlier - salt and watermelon are amazing together, but the salt also draws out the water in the melon; if you salt too early, your water will bleed out and this recipe does not make for a good cold soup.
- Want to take it over the top? Cherry tomatoes sliced in half are a great addition to this recipe.
- Want more green? Just drop in some arugula.
- Not sweet enough? A small dollop of raw honey on each dish as served is heavenly with watermelon & feta.
- Need even more color? Blueberry and cantaloupe will slide in here, no problem, and goes amazingly well with the feta and other fruits.