Pinterest has been tantalizing me with a variety of savory butternut squash recipes - and this casserole seems like just the ticket for a potluck, Sunday supper, or tasty dinner party centerpiece.
Savory Butternut Squash Casserole
- 1 tablespoon Lucerne® unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Lucerne® whole milk
- 2 tablespoon Lucerne® heavy cream
- 4 cup butternut squash cubes
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup Open Nature™ white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup honey-roasted pecans
- 2 tablespoon Safeway SELECT® maple syrup
Preheat oven to 375°F.
To make sauce, add flour and butter to a saucepan and cook until flour is a light brown color. Add milk and heavy cream while whisking rapidly, then return to a simmer.
In a buttered casserole pan, toss together butternut squash cubes, thyme, salt, and white cheddar. Pour the sauce on top and sprinkle with pecans.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until squash is tender. Drizzle with maple syrup and serve immediately.
If you aren't a fan of pecans, those are optional. If you wanted to add some flair, you could throw in black beans or a second kind of cheese -- such as cheddar -- to make it extra cheesy.
Recipe & Photo credit: Safeway Kitchens.