TRADITIONAL: Unbleached wheat flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid, enzyme), sugar, baking powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, corn starch, monocalcium phosphate), baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), salt.
Nutritional Facts: Calories 229, Total Fat 10 gm, Saturated Fat 6 gm, Trans Fat 0 gm, Cholesterol 27 mg, Sodium 203 mg, Total Carbohydrate 31 gm, Dietary Fiber <1 gm, Sugars 9 gm, Protein 3.5 gm, Calcium 68, Iron 1 mg
TRADITIONAL PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS:
You will need:
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pour contents of bag into mixing bowl. Cut in 3/4 cup butter until mixture is fine and crumbly.
- Stir in 1 cup buttermilk. Dough will form a soft ball. Turn dough out onto floured board; knead gently 3-4 times.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a flattened circle, 6-7 inches in diameter, approximately 1 inch thick. Blueberries, chocolate chips, or raisins may be kneaded in at this point for different flavors.
- Using a sharp knife, cut circle into eighths (or quarters if larger scones are desired). Dough may also be frozen at this point for later use.
- Place scones on parchment lined cookie sheets. Sprinkle with sugar or cinnamon sugar. Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for 13-18 minutes (time will vary with scone size). Top should be very light golden brown when done.
- Serve warm with toppings of choice and enjoy!