One of my current obsessions is the tea latte. I have been trying to dial back the caffeine a touch, and the tea latte gives me that little bit of luxury (hot drink, milk foam, etc.) without the jitters.
I’ve been researching some tips for making the perfect tea latte – like the one that you get in the tea shop that’s just oh-so-silky smooth. Here are some of my tips – along with a giveaway to help you take your tea lattes to the next level.
Talking with our managing editor Carrie Keplinger – who is most definitely an expert in tea – helped me out with several of the tips below. I’ve topped that off with some of my own research.
Tea is such a personalized drink, so I encourage you to do your own experimentation.
Top 5 Tips for Making the Perfect Tea Latte
1. Use high quality tea. Just because your tea is going to be hiding inside a latte doesn’t mean it will mask a bad tea. Upgrade your tea – and thank us later.
2. Make your tea extra strong. Use two tea bags or double the amount of tea leaves. Otherwise the flavor of the tea will dilute when milk is added. You may have to experiment to find the right flavor profile for you.
3. Don’t burn the milk. Remove from heat just when tiny bubbles begin to form; any longer and the flavor will be spoilt. If you’re heating and then using a milk frother, froth the milk immediately – don’t wait for it to cool.
4. Froth milk separately and pour over brewed tea. This gives better consistency to the milk foam.
5. Add some cinnamon or nutmeg into your milk before you froth it. Doing so adds a wonderful color AND flavor for the milk. It feels like the ultimate luxury.
I use this milk frother – it is one of the best frothers I’ve found for under $50.