On September 18th, almost 30 folks from the Plum Deluxe community gathered for our first Seattle community event, Evergreen Enchantment. Our concept was to celebrate the end of a fantastic Pacific Northwest summer, while welcoming autumn with open arms (the fall equinox being just 4 days later).
Our venue host was Tulio Restaurant, part of our ongoing partnership with Kimpton Hotels. The private dining space is a fabulous, cozy, private room upstairs with a lovely view of the Seattle Central Library across the street. Love me some modern Italian chic.
A Sparkling Reception
Treveri Cellars was kind enough to join us for the our opening reception, pouring two of their Washington sparkling wines – most certainly one of the highlights of the night, as Treveri makes one of the best sparklings in the Pacific Northwest. To accompany the sparkles was our main evening sponsor, Jarlsberg Cheese. Nothing like a bit of cheese and wine to kick off an evening, alongside some lovely canapes from the Tulio kitchen.
Food & Wine Pairings
At all of our events, we spend a lot of attention the menu, and our Evergreen Enchantment was no exception! Chef Walter Pisano has a lot of history in the food industry, and I researched his background and pitched him a couple of suggestions and then left him to whip up a perfect menu for the night. Once we had our menu, we reached out to the many wonderful wineries in Washington and worked with winemakers to select wines to pair with each of our courses.
Here’s a break down of the menu:
- Insalata: escarole, toasted hazelnut, apple, gorgonzola cream. Paired with EFESTE 2012 Evergreen Reisling.
- Primi: pumpkin risotto, buttered leeks, spiced marscapone, pumpkin seed. Paired with Columbia Winery 2012 Chardonnay.
- Secondi: seared sea scallops, panzanella salad, lobster mushrooms, chanterelle, roasted sweet onions, tarragon oil. Paired with Maryhill 2011 Malbec.
- Dolci: brown butter polenta cake, poached pears, sabayon. Paired with Colulmbia 2013 Viognier.
It’s hard to say what was the best part of the night – I think the most thumbs up were the gorgonzola cream and the scallops, both of which took simple flavors to a new level!
The Swag Bag of All Swag Bags
We like to highlight small vendors who aren’t able to be fully spotlighted at our events, and in this case – with so much gourmet goodies in Washington – we had a lovely swag bag filled with treats. This event’s bag was sponsored by Tovolo, a Seattle-based purveyor of specialty kitchen goods. Look at all the amazing things in the Evergreen Enchantment bags:
- Sphere ice molds from Tovolo with cocktail recipes
- Samples of Plum Deluxe Tea
- Free tasting passes to all of the wineries featured
- Coupons for Jarlsberg plus a Jarlsberg cheese knife
- Sample spices from World Spice Merchants
- gimMe Seaweed Snacks
- CascadeIce Water
- Pearls Olives to Go
- Bath salts and cooking salts from SaltWorks
- Inspirational message cards from Compendium
- Gift certificate to treat yourself at Skoah Spa
Wow! Thank you so much to all our sponsors and those vendors who provided samples!
We can’t wait until our next party in Seattle! View all of the photos from this event here.